About our blog



This blog summarizes our experiences during our 17-day study abroad trip to the Dominican Republic. Each post will briefly describe our activities of each day, with a strong emphasis on the culture and health of the Dominican people. We have also included many pictures to provide a more vivid view of our experiences. We hope you enjoy this blog we have assembled!

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

January 17, 2015

Some of the students on our last night
Photo Credit: Collin Stone
Kirstie: Sadly, today is our last full day in the D.R. We woke up early and ventured to the Mercado Modelo for a true Dominican shopping experience. As we walked through the market, vendors swarmed around us trying to sell their goods. Though a little overwhelming, it was a neat cultural experience. We were given some sound advice before entering, which was to not accept the first price we were offered, and to play “hard to get” when bargaining for prices. I took this advice and haggled various prices and made out very well on my shopping excursion. I was successful in purchasing various souvenirs for my family and friends. After the market, we went to the Colonial Zone and participated in some more shopping. My credit card had had enough and I just enjoyed my last couple hours taking in the sights of the Dominican culture. As I was walking near the Cathedral of Santa Maria, there was a large amount of pigeons. A Dominican mother was holding her child and her other arm out for a place for the pigeons to land. I could not help but think how dangerous and unsanitary this was for the mother and her child. In regards to health, pigeons can carry many diseases that can be spread to the human when they come into contact. The mother allowing these pigeons to land on her arm increases her chances of contracting a disease or spreading this infection to her child, resulting in negative health effects.



The students and professors in front of the market
Photo Credit: Xavier 
Crystal: The market was filled with tons of different Dominican cultural items. There were so many pretty and interesting objects in there it was hard to choose what to go after first. Vendor after vendor tried to pull us in shop to look at their selection. I eventually bought a few things, right as we were about to leave a tie-dye top and skirt set caught my attention. I knew I had to come back. After our quick stop in the Colonial Zone I made my way back to the market with the professors. I was on a mission to get that outfit. As I was almost done bargaining with the saleswomen about the price, I saw a matching little dress that I had to get for my little cousin. Once it was all said and done I was happy with my purchases, knowing that I would be returning to the states with a little piece of the D.R. On our walk back to the hotel, it was nice to get away from the busy streets, and see another side of the D.R. We walked through neighborhoods and were able to see how Dominican live without the touristy flare. It was pleasant to see the houses, schools, and churches up close.


Roalqui, Kirstie, Rose, & Crystal at the farewell dinner
Photo Credit: Collin Stone 
Rose: On our last full day in the Dominican Republic, I woke up in a bittersweet mood. I was really happy because this entire trip was amazing, but I was also sad that it was coming to an end. We started at the market and I wished we had been shown this place earlier because there were so many shops and so many fun things to explore. I was able to find gifts for the majority of my family and friends and made out with decent prices for all of my purchases. It took quite a bit of bargaining and pouting faces. but I think my parents would be proud. The market was quite an experience and I wish we had discovered it sooner! We then went to the Zona Colonial where I picked the last few gifts and then went back to the hotel with a handful of classmates to get brunch at a nicer restaurant called “Loretta’s”. It wasn’t really Dominican, but had a very modern, European influence to its decor and its menu. The music playing was remixes of popular American songs like Kiss by Prince, which we all really enjoyed. My meal and everyone else’s was not only delicious. but came out in a timely manner, which is not common for the D.R. in my experience. It was also really nice going out with a group of classmates I had not interacted with as much as others on a more personal scale. I liked being able to connect with them in ways that I had not yet. We returned to the hotel after brunch and relaxed until it was time to go to our farewell dinner. Over the past two weeks we, the students, the professors, and the CIEE facilitators, have all grown a lot closer and in turn a lot more comfortable. It was funny thinking back to our welcome dinner and how quiet and reserved everyone had been and comparing it to our last where the table was full of conversation and laughter. It has been fun witnessing and being a part of this transition.

No comments:

Post a Comment