About our blog



This blog summarizes our experiences during our 17-day study abroad trip to the Dominican Republic. Each post will briefly describe our activities of each day, with a strong emphasis on the culture and health of the Dominican people. We have also included many pictures to provide a more vivid view of our experiences. We hope you enjoy this blog we have assembled!

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

January 18, 2015


Sunset at the farewell dinner
Photo Credit: Kirstie Geier 
Kirstie: The last day of our trip came upon us so quickly. I could not believe it was already time to leave! The 17 days went by incredibly fast and my experiences in the D.R. were certainly life changing and unforgettable. I cannot express enough how grateful I am to have had the opportunity to study aboard. The lessons I learned in the D.R. will forever have a positive impact on how I view the world and myself. Culturally competent care is now a concept of great importance to me and my better understanding of it will allow me to provide quality care to patients in my professional career as nurse. Sunday was a long day of traveling, but we eventually arrived home safely. We waited many hours in the Santo Domingo and Atlanta airports for our planes to arrive until we finally landed at Dulles. After the long trek, I was happy to be home. I could not wait to share my experiences with my family and friends. The next step that I am excited for is to utilize what I have learned about culturally competent care and apply it in the work setting. I am excited to confront these new challenges with a new worldview.



Photo from the airplane landing in the U.S.
Photo Credit: Crystal Croom
Crystal: I could not believe Sunday had already come upon us. On day four, the group was in so much excitement of how much we had done already, but just like that we were packing up and checking out of our hotel. I took the chance to walk down the block for the last time, really reflecting on the time that I had spent in the D.R. From day one excitement to day 11 freak out, I had suddenly mellowed out and adapted to being in this environment and around the culture. We were off to the airport, taking the drive we made the first day. On this familiar drive the trash on the street and people riding motorbikes seem not to draw my attention anymore. I became accustomed to some of the norms we had seen over the past two weeks. Our process of going through the airport was smooth, similar to that in the states just less tech savvy. My flight to New Jersey kept getting delayed, and it made me more anxious to get home. As we finally left around a four and half hour delay I really said goodbye from this beautiful country. I know I may come back to the Dominican Republic, but to see and experience everything I have done just previously was a once in a lifetime opportunity. It was not a surprise that the culture would be different in the D.R., but the way I had had to embrace the culture was overwhelming at times. I learned so much being in the D.R., from everyone who would have us. This study abroad trip would not have been the same without everyone from CIEE and I am very impressed on how everything went. I will try to study abroad again in the future. Every bit of this experience was breath taking and I am so happy and grateful I participated in this study abroad trip with this amazing group of people.



Selfie on our last night
Photo Credit: Crystal Croom
Photo from the plane landing in the U.S.
Photo Credit: Rose Kalala
Rose: Just like that, we had come to our 17th and final day in the Dominican Republic. On the way to the airport we got to stop and take a picture of the billboard of Ulises Ceron Polanco, the father of Minerva Ceron (the woman I interviewed). She told us about this billboard when she was explaining his role in Dominican history. I am very glad we got to take the photo and I cannot wait to send it to her. We arrived safely to the airport and all boarded our respective flights to our respective destinations. I was headed to Miami where I had a 17-hour layover and planned to meet up with my friend’s cousin that goes to school there. The following morning I boarded my 6 a.m, flight and before I knew it I was approaching the all too familiar Washington Monument. I was home. I feel so much gratitude towards CIEE, our professors, my classmates, and most importantly the people of the Dominican Republic. I had an amazing and inspiring experience, one that I will cherish forever. This experience has been and will be extremely influential in shaping my worldview and how this worldview will affect the way I provide care in my nursing career. I hope to take all that I have experienced and learned, about myself and about those around me – no matter how similar or different we are, and apply this acquired knowledge to how I shape future relationships. One of the biggest lessons I learned was the importance of compassion in medicine and nursing. I consider myself a compassionate person and recognize the importance of empathy not only in nursing and providing care, but in day to day life. People far too often forget how vital these are to developing healthy and thriving relationships. This experience has only further influenced my belief of compassion’s important role in nursing and in life.

Towson University Students (and our CIEE guide) that ventured to the Dominican Republic
Top Row (left to right): Stephen Wagner, Collin Stone, Kirsite Geier, Roalqui Sierra, 
Lily Glenn, Ashley Anderson, Kaitlin O'Leary, Rose Kalala
Bottom Row (left to right): Deanna Sipes, Rachel White, Emily Maxwell,
 Kara Lenhoff, Crystal Croom, Tisha Weech


Our Amazing Towson University Professors & CIEE Leaders
(Left to right): Dr. Bonnie Fuller, Xaivier Ringer, Dr. Juan Roalqui Sierra, Dr. Andrea Brace, Tian Song
Photo Credit: Rose Kalala



No comments:

Post a Comment